"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood... And sorry I could not travel both. I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." --Robert Frost

Saturday, June 3, 2017

A Waterfall Hike, A Dragon & A Stone

Ashville, NC
Taps RV Park


Saturday started out very hot and humid, so we thought it would be a great day to hike to Crabtree Falls.  This moderate, 3 mile loop starts out at 3280' and has a gain of only 480 feet.


 
Our destination is a 70' waterfall that is known to be one of the most photogenic in the area.  You hike up the ridge then alongside the stream in a canopy of hardwoods.


 
And before you know it, you're there.



I like this picture with the hikers in front of the waterfall.


Up close.  The cool mist felt great.

 
After crossing the stream and hiking up the other side, I took this picture looking over the edge of the top of the waterfall.

 
There are a lot of little surprises in the woods if you look closely. 

I liked the different shapes and sizes of the leaves.  These were about the size of a marble and there were some leaves on this one tree that were about 1 foot across.

 

 
 
There was an overlook trail we wanted to hike so on the way back we pulled in.  It was a short trail but you hiked through tunnels of flowering Catawba Rhododendron with a wide open view up top. 






The Tree of Life

Great views.



 
The trail is pretty smooth but there are some rocks and roots to watch out for.  An older gentleman took a fall and split open his eyebrow.  His family helped him down while another couple gave him some bottled water and I had some large bandges and wet-wipes for him.  I think he'll be getting stitches later.
 
The Dragon Tree

Posing in the Dragon's Eye

Our next Christmas Card photo?

There are so many things to do and see in and around Ashville, but since we have been here before we avoided the touristy things like the Biltmore Estate.  The historic downtown is cute and full of chic shops, restaurants and breweries. We were looking for Wicked Weed Brewery that a friend of ours, Mike, suggested.
Steve did some sampling and loved the Menage-a-Freak.  It was a triple IPA.  One of the best he's ever had.  The double IPA, Freak of Nature, was a close second. We had to try their Boiled IPA Peanuts, a specialty around here.  We split a small plate of Grilled shrimp, marinated artichokes, cured olives and Romesco. Romesco is a roasted red pepper and almond spread.  Delicious! Thanks for the tip on the brewery Mike!
 
A coffee-shop-in-a-bus.
This reminded us of our good friends, Doug & Deanna's, ranch in CA.

The Lesser-known sister stone.

For those of you that don't know, loquacity means "talkativeness".  Don't feel bad, I had to look it up.  As we were standing nearby so I could take a picture, I overheard a guy telling his friend not to kiss it or the Blarney Stone as people pee on them.  Good to know.  When we make it to Ireland I'll just settle for a picture.  Besides, most people who know me will say I already talk enough!
 
 

11 comments:

  1. I learned something new. That is where the term "bunk" came from. Looks like a beautiful area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely the spring for waterfalls and green! Love the photo in the eye...yes, a Christmas card:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I think the whole US had above normal rainfall. I'd love to be doing my favorite hikes back in the Sierra's to see all that water flowing! Assuming I could get through all the snow that's probably still there!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful big views and little treasures - love the red flower. The Dragon Tree is so cool!! Interesting that Blarney's sister ended up in North Carolina :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to tell from the picture, but the tree was long and along the ground and really looked like the length of a dragon and the side of the face.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful waterfall! I bet that mist was cool and refreshing....but not as refreshing as a cold beer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics!
    FYI: I'm not sure how someone could pee on the Blarney Stone - there is always someone there. I didn't kiss it anyway - just pretended for the pic!

    ReplyDelete

I’d love to hear from you! It’s more fun when you leave a comment!